Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights
The Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights describes the rights of patients and other people using the Australian health system. These rights are essential to make sure that, wherever and whenever care is provided, it is of high quality and is safe.
The Charter recognises that people receiving care and people providing care all have important parts to play in achieving healthcare rights. The Charter allows patients, consumers, families, carers and services providing health care to share an understanding of the rights of people receiving health care. This helps everyone to work together towards a safe and high quality health system. A genuine partnership between patients, consumers and providers is important so that everyone achieves the best possible outcomes.
These three principles describe how this Charter applies in the Australian health system.
1 Everyone has the right to be able to access health care and this right is essential for the Charter to be meaningful.
2 The Australian Government commits to international agreements about human rights which recognise everyone’s right to have the highest possible standard of physical and mental health.
3 Australia is a society made up of people with different cultures and ways of life, and the Charter acknowledges and respects these differences.
- Access – Patients have a right to healthcare.
- Safety – Patients have a right to receive safe and high quality care.
- Respect – Patients have a right to be shown respect, dignity and consideration.
- Communication – Patients have a right to be informed about services, treatment, options and costs in a clear and open way.
- Participation – Patients have a right to be included in decisions and choices about their care.
- Privacy – Patients have a right to privacy and confidentiality of their personal information.
- Comment – Patients have a right to comment on their care and to have their concerns addressed.
You can view the Event Medical Plus Privacy and Confidentiality Policy by following this link: Privacy and Confidentiality Policy
For more information about your rights or information about your treatment, please contact us by completing the Contact Us form on our website.